Books and related material available at the AC
Book: – The Alzheimer Cafe: why it works
by Dr. Gemma Jones
“Every medical student would learn from reading it.” – Professor Tony Bayer, Acting Head of Department of Geriatric Medicine and Director of the Memory Team, Cardiff; and Editor in Chief of Reviews in Clinical Gerontology.
Listen to the article on the Cafes :
Radio interview on the Alzheimers Cafe, with Dr. Gemma Jones, Vancouver, 2018 (18 minutes duration)
Book: – About Dementia: for families with children, and everyone
written and illustrated by Dr. Gemma Jones
Book: – The TAD Newsletters: topical issues and ideas about caregiving
by Dr. Gemma Jones
(Vol. 1 – The first fifty, 2009 – 2012)
This book contains the first 50 ‘Thoughts About Dementia’ (TAD) newsletters, covering a variety of topics about dementia-care related issues:
‘Thoughts About Dementia’ (TAD) newsletters
These newsletters by Dr. Gemma Jones, hosted on TheWideSpectrum website, cover topical issues and ideas about caregiving. To read a selection of the ‘Thoughts About Dementia’ (TAD) newsletters please click on this link.
To sign-up for the free TAD Newsletter, please click here
Articles on the AC
• Alzheimer Cafés are mentioned in the report:
“Dementia: Ethical issues” (2009) Report by the Nuffield Council on Bioethics. (Oct.) Downloadable from http://www.nuffieldbioethics.org/go/ourwork/dementia/introduction
• Jones GMM, Miesen BML (2011) Dementia care: involving people in Alzheimer Cafés . Nursing and residential care. 13:9;442-445.
• Jones GMM (2010) The Alzheimer Café: why it works, The Wide Spectrum Pub., Sunninghill, UK, SL5 7BH. Pp 212.
• Jones GMM (2009) History: how the Farnborough Alzheimer Café, first in the UK, has grown. Discovery Magazine. Blackwater Valley Alzheimer’s Society Branch, January.
• Jones GMM, Redwood K, Harding JW, Bullock P (2007) Comparing UK and Dutch Alzheimer Cafés against new quality control criteria. J of Dem• Meerveld J, in collaboration with B Miesen (2005/2006; version- March 2006) Seizoensevaluatie met kwaliteits criteria Alzheimer Cafés. Bunnik: Stichting Alzheimer Nederland, pp28. [translation of the Quality Control Criteria and the a summary of the Dutch Evaluation report findings, by GMM Jones, available on the website www.alzheimerscafe.co.uk.]
• Miesen BML, (2010) Opening speech for the Alzheimer Café UK Conference, May 14th, 2010, Ascot, UK
• Miesen BML, Jones GMM (2004) The Alzheimer Cafe: a response to the trauma, drama and tragedy of dementia. In: Vol. 3 Care- giving in Dementia. (GMM Jones and BML Miesen, Eds.), Brunner Routledge, Hove, Pp 307-332.
• Miesen, BML, (2002) Het Alzheimer Café. Lifetime, Kosmos-Z&K Uitgevers, Utrecht, pp208.entia Care. 16:1 (Jan/Feb) Pp34-38.
• Thompson A (2006) Qualitative evaluation of an Alzheimer Café as an on-going supportive group intervention. In: Vol 4 Care-giving in Dementia. (Miesen BML, Jones GMM ,Eds.), Routledge Pub., London, Pp 291-312.
Articles about Alzheimer Café topics in: Thoughts about dementia (TAD) newsletters in the book:
Jones, GMM (2012) The TAD newsletters (thoughts about dementia). Vol. 1 the first fifty. The Wide Spectrum Publications, Sunninghill, UK, SL5 7BH (pp. 250)
TAD 29, 18 Mar. 2011, Nursing and student links to Alzheimer Cafés
TAD 27, 10 Feb. 2011, Doctors, dementia assessment, support and concerns about driving
TAD 12, 26 Apr. 2010, The ‘tyranny’ of the MMSE
TAD 05, 27 Feb. 2010, The Alzheimer Café: 10 years in the UK
Other Useful Links
The Wide Spectrum Dementia Education Resources
The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)